Northern is an open hub for creative designers and we hereby welcome all design talents from around the globe to participate in the Northern Design Award 2019. As a contemporary and young Nordic producer of furniture, lighting and accessories, Northern is always searching for the most original, innovative, lasting and sustainable ideas for interior objects to present to the world.
Do you have an ingenious design concept you want to show? Maybe you just designed a cool functional object no one have ever come up with before or simply made a beautiful interior icon?
Let us see your creations!
Submit your design to win!
We ask you to lead the way by making the future design trends come alive. Think creatively and boldly and challenge the exiting furniture innovations, shapes, materials and/or functions of the leading design creators and producers by designing something truly unique!
Who can participate?
Northern Design Award is a talent competition for designers within all design and architecture related disciplines. Entrants can be based anywhere in the world.
8 April 2019
1st prize – 1000 Euro
2nd price – 500 Euro
3rd price – 500 Euro gift card (Northern products)
Up to 5 additional candidates will receive honourable mentions. All entries will also be evaluated in our upcoming product selections!
Kirsten Visdal – Interior Stylist
Elin Bashevkin – Interior Architect
Calle Huth – Photographer
Jomi Evers – Product Developer (Northern)
Mari Nordmarken – Content/SoMe Manager (Northern)
Please send a short presentation (Max. 3 pages) in .PDF or .JPG format describing your idea in a comprehensible way (file size max. 10MB). Use whatever technique suits you, whether it be hand drawing, computer visualisations or photos of physical prototype. Videos may also be added. Try to place your concept in a setting and explain the function and use of the object. Also imply choice of materials, colours and possible production technique if this is important to the concept.
Entries must be the original works of participants and cannot previously have been released as a commercial product. Max. 3 entries from each designer or group.
All material sent to us is treated with confidentiality and will not be forwarded or published without permission from the owner of the design.
Send your darlings digitally to: email@example.com
All ideas and design styles are welcome, but some sort of realism in the concept is important to us. Submitted objects must be placed within the categories furniture, lighting or accessories. Below are some key words for your inspiration and guideline:
- Mood creating (our products should create a special mood and a nice atmosphere)
- Innovative (should be original, have a good function, innovative production process and/or material innovation or use of new/interesting materials)
- Nordic in Spirit, Global in Style (must fit our company profile and style, our Nordic origin, culture and society interpreted by you and your background)
- Aesthetics (shapes, colours, materials and smart details are really important)
- Fashion (designs should reflect contemporary culture and modern lifestyle, have a news value, but still reach for the design-classic league)
- Multifunctional (we appreciate flexible products that can be used and/or combined in different ways)
- Story (a good story around a product makes it easier to profile)
- Environmentally friendly and environmentally responsible (explains itself)
- Production friendly (possible to make, realistic to produce)
All submitted designs are owned by their creators in full. As a basic principle we do not sign agreements to register submissions. Northern will not claim ownership of any material treated in this competition unless an agreement is made during or after the selection process.
Read about the winner and finalists from 2017
Read about the winner and finalists from 2016
We wish you good luck!